11/30/20

Too much to do

Too many times there’s too much that needs to be done. I have two dogs that constantly need to go outside for a walk and release their energy. Two jobs that I need to juggle and sometimes I have to work late for. I wish I had the ability to pause time and fall into a deep sleep for a short period of time. This will give me the rest I need to feel a significant difference. It would provide me with a jolt of energy when I actually get up from it and continue my busy day. Have you ever felt a moment like that before? A time when it seemed like there was too much to do? What did you do in that situation?


Vocabulary:

Constantly (adverb) continuously over a period of time; always.
Release (verb) all or enable to escape from confinement; set free
Juggle (verb) cope with by skillful balance
Ability (noun) possession of the means or skill to do something
Significant (adjective) having a particular meaning; indicative of something
Jolt (verb) give a surprise or shock to (someone) in order to make them act or change
Situation (noun) a set of circumstances in which one finds oneself; a state of affairs.



Vocabulary Exercise:
Complete the sentences with the correct vocabulary word.

constantly released juggle          ability significant           jolt      situation


1. People __________ many responsibilities in life.
2. Technology is ____________ changing as time goes on.
3. In times of stress her dreams were _____________.
4. She tried to ________ him out of his sadness.
5. She ____________ his arm and pushed in aside.
6. The coach managed to lose his _________ to motivate his players.
7. That ___________ will really hurt Jack.




Grammar Lesson: Two, Too, To

Two, too, and two are another set of words that frequently cause confusion.  They are also considered homophones because they are all pronounced in a similar way but mean different things and have different spelling. 

TO: 
Can be used as a preposition of movement or direction. 
Ex: I will take you to the airport.

Identifies the person or thing affected or receiving something.
Ex: I gave it to Jade

Can be used t show a change of state, condition or quality
Ex: She tore the letter to pieces

Can be used as the first part of an infinitive (to + verb= infinitive)
Ex: He needs to study more.


TOO:
Can be used before an adjective or an adverb for reinforcement to mean “very” or “more than..”
Ex: This house is too big for me.

Can be used as an adverb to mean “also” or “in addition”
Ex: I was very tired last night and my mother was too


TWO:
Only used as a number. Two = 2
Ex: There are two cats outside.




Grammar Assignment:

Fill in each sentence with the correct word.

To: a function word Too: also Two: a number


1. I am going _________ read a book.
2. Donald ran _________ miles.
3. Is Ann coming ___________?
4. She got ________ wrong on the test.
5. My brother likes ________ play baseball.
6. I was at the park ________ times today.
7. Those clothes are _________ expensive.
8. Cindy got __________ strikes in bowling.
9. I need _____ write_______ pages for school.
10. I need you ________ help me it’s _______ heavy.


Useful Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv2Ai5GES1w

1 comment:

  1. A very fine entry with all the required components. Your video is designed for ESL students, so it is at the proper rate of speech and has great visuals.

    ReplyDelete